Saturday, April 08, 2006

Career Musings

I'm still wishing I knew what to do when I grow up. I waffle between two vague possibilites.

1) Live a quiet life in a quiet town working a boring job from 8-5. Accept a life of poverty and mediocrity, knowing that I probably am not "living up to my potential", but hey, I make every single one of my kids baseball games. Perhaps wake up when I am 50 and realize my kids can't afford to go to college and they have horribly crooked teeth bacause I couldn't afford a dentist and perhaps I have wasted my God given talents and abilities to do cool things.

2)Live life in the fast lane. Work in fancy impressive jobs in corporate America in big progressive cities. Travel. Work long hours. Rarely be home for dinner, but rarely look at the clock because work is actually pretty interesting. Work with smart interesting fun people who spent a year backpacking through pakistan or fighting world poverty or living in malta. Change the world. Be rich and maybe famous and important. Perhaps wake up when I am 50 and realize I don't know my own family.

I suppose it is nice to have both options, but I am not really sure where I will end up. Hopefully somewhere in between.

1 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know is that Byron and I have had the same discussion and the only thing we have decided is that no matter which route you take your kids will probably be disappointed in you and want to do it differently.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home